The General Medical Service is led by a consultant physician. The team also includes other doctors and nurses.
We generally serve patients with:
- undifferentiated medical conditions including unclear diagnosis
- chronic and complex conditions
- single organ problems that do not require intervention by sub-specialists
What should I expect on my appointment?
The first appointment will last about 30 minutes. The doctor will take a detailed medical and dietary history. They will do a physical examination and also order any necessary investigations, such as blood tests or scans.
Follow-up appointments usually take about 15 to 20 minutes.
What conditions are seen at the General Medicine?
Conditions commonly seen include:
- Recurrent infections, such as colds, sore throats, cystitis, thrush, chest infections and bacterial infections
- Some persistent symptoms where tests have not revealed a serious underlying disorder
- Asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Digestive disorders, for example acid reflux, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease
- Endocrine (glandular) disorders such as under-active thyroid
- Type II diabetes
- Some types of heart disease, high blood pressure and palpitations
- Chronic headache such as migraine or tension-type headache
- Side effects of prescribed medications